I am in love with my pen and the words it writes. I write because I see. I write what I see, so I must love my eyes as well. I once thought of the well of inspiration as a body of water whose dam was never meant to hold it back. Rather, it is the discipline to control the flow lest it flood and be spent. Writers need more than imagination; they need life experience. Without knowing how life flows, and that one cannot merely dangle their toes in the stream, but swim in the current, imagination has no fuel to flourish. I write because I love people, I love history and I love language. The three are inseparable and no successful writing is accomplished without paying dues to all three. As long as I stay in the flow, the pen will stay in my hand.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010


The Road Taken by Richard Cheney [non-fiction]

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood..." wrote the poet, Robert Frost. Drawn from the bitter experiences of his life, yet these words offer a sublime caution to urge our understanding of the road each of us travels. The character we develop, the choices we make and the course we follow are essential to be understood fully and with clear intent to run life's course with purpose. We either let the road lead us without purpose and we stagnate, or we make plans only to abandon them and take tributary paths that may not reach the conclusion we expected, or we plan carefully, remain devoted to the plan and follow the course we have charted to reach the goals we had set. They are our choices to make and the choices made must follow to their natural conclusions. An analysis of Frost's watershed poem helps to understand how planning and choice make the road the pleasure and reward it should be for all who travel divergent roads on the road taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment