I am in love with my pen and the words it writes. I write because I see. I write what I see, so I must love my eyes as well. I once thought of the well of inspiration as a body of water whose dam was never meant to hold it back. Rather, it is the discipline to control the flow lest it flood and be spent. Writers need more than imagination; they need life experience. Without knowing how life flows, and that one cannot merely dangle their toes in the stream, but swim in the current, imagination has no fuel to flourish. I write because I love people, I love history and I love language. The three are inseparable and no successful writing is accomplished without paying dues to all three. As long as I stay in the flow, the pen will stay in my hand.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Irreantum by Richard Cheney [historic fiction]

It was a ship built by the desire of one man: Nephi. Its story is told in a book reckoned as true by less than one percent of the world's population, as interesting by some, a fantasy by many and an absurdity by just as many. Two thirds of the world's population may have never heard of Nephi nor the voyage of his family six hundred years before Christ. One man, Dr. Alma Carlisle, a marine acheologist, is determined to find the ship of legend that so many consider as little more than legend. To do so, he is challenged by a group of archeology graduate students to attempt to build and sail a similar ship, just to see if the legenday voyage was possible. From the shores of a protected natural harbor in Oman, they and an Omani crew collect the materials, build the ship and sail off into a maritime miracle and an assurance by all that on some voyages of discovery, more hands on deck than mortal may be at hand in the affairs of men. Irreantum, translated to mean "many waters" is her christened name. The ship sails the Indian and Pacific oceans and into its own legend of faith-promoting discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment