I am in love with my pen and the words it writes. I write because I see. I write what I see, so I must love my eyes as well. I once thought of the well of inspiration as a body of water whose dam was never meant to hold it back. Rather, it is the discipline to control the flow lest it flood and be spent. Writers need more than imagination; they need life experience. Without knowing how life flows, and that one cannot merely dangle their toes in the stream, but swim in the current, imagination has no fuel to flourish. I write because I love people, I love history and I love language. The three are inseparable and no successful writing is accomplished without paying dues to all three. As long as I stay in the flow, the pen will stay in my hand.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010


Peacemaker by Richard Cheney [non-fiction]

As a manual for peacemakers, the Holy Bible has a relevant, single chapter. There are other worthy principles to learn, but the peacemaker's craft is contained in a sermon offered on a mountain to which had gathered a multitude to hear what Jesus had to say. What he said has been heard over great distances around the globe for thousands of years without our yet taking full advantage of the advice that would cure every single social ill that plagues our modern society. It is known today as the Sermon on the Mount, and its original offering was followed by a multitude saying: "this is an hard word; who can hear it?" We say the same today. But no other path, no other attitude will lead us to the peace as only he could offer: the words of a peacemaker, the words of eternal life. If we would be a peacemaker, we must employ the principles of mercy, purity of heart, hunger for righteousness, poverty of spirit, and, yes, the suffering of persecution while declaring love for those who persecute. These are the character traits of a peacemaker. These are the attitudes that will calm the seas of our discontent.

No comments:

Post a Comment