I am in love with my pen and the words it writes. I write because I see. I write what I see, so I must love my eyes as well. I once thought of the well of inspiration as a body of water whose dam was never meant to hold it back. Rather, it is the discipline to control the flow lest it flood and be spent. Writers need more than imagination; they need life experience. Without knowing how life flows, and that one cannot merely dangle their toes in the stream, but swim in the current, imagination has no fuel to flourish. I write because I love people, I love history and I love language. The three are inseparable and no successful writing is accomplished without paying dues to all three. As long as I stay in the flow, the pen will stay in my hand.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Master Mahan by Richard Cheney [historic fiction]

"Vice is a monster," wrote Alexander Pope, "of such frightful mien as to be hated needs but to be seen..." Who was not familiar with the essence of glamour, the face easily endured, difficult to pity, but fatal to embrace? Miranda Mallory seduced the silver screen and all who watched her there. Rumored were her antics with the likes of political powerhouses, California Senators Jason and Tommy Doheny, brothers and competitors for Miranda's affection. But other forces lurk in public and private places in L.A., forces that have a history moving and shaking L.A., glistening like black gold glitter of tinsel, like no earthquake could. Oil and water in the desert. That's politics, it is said, but who said that it had to run to the extreme of murder? Murder to get gain. What monster could have taken Miranda before her time? Many pointed to the brothers, darker than their images would appear, but look deep into those eyes, eyes that remain, after death, riveting in their allure and deadly in their bitter consequence and then dare to hold to that rumor after Jason, and then Tommy, are also murdered. There is a monster to be endured, pitied and embraced, but who and why did that monster wait so long to admit that gain is not the result of murder, and neither water nor oil can act like blood?

No comments:

Post a Comment